The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

New user + what is up with all the mentions of fractals?
(03-06-2023, 12:58 AM)Drashner1 Wrote: If I had to make a judgement here, I'd say that maybe we could slightly modify/add to the article to explicitly include that neural linking includes motor control elements of the CNS. But really the current article already covers that if one takes 'central nervous system' literally and doesn't interpret it to just mean the sensory/informational aspects of DNI which most SF limits itself to. So it's a matter of whether or not we want to make something clearer, not of an actual lack or mis-statement in the current article. I'm not really leaning one way or the other on this.

Rynn, as the original author of the DNI article, what are your thoughts on this?

I'm happy for us to edit in an explicit clarification. The reason I had CNS integration as the norm was due to how the EG historically talked about virtual world access and our articles on skillmods. If the DNI couldn't control motor functions (or at the very least inhibit them) then VR access becomes vastly more limited.

Also I'm fine with merging the DNI articles. I think I wrote them that way waaaaay back in the day because it seemed more of a done thing to split up longer articles. But over time we've moved away from that toward single-sources-of-truth.

(03-06-2023, 04:53 AM)ExabyteMiner256 Wrote: I think that the article should give examples: it could mention things like the "social engineering, malicious software updates, forced installation, or even physical infection via spore hardware" that you talked about in your post in the "malware infection" paragraph. Other than that, it seems fine to me.

Adding those seems fine.
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
  2. Internal medical system
  3. A dormbot, because domestic chores suck!

Messages In This Thread
RE: New user + what is up with all the mentions of fractals? - by Rynn - 03-06-2023, 11:03 PM