The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

First kalpa as a Lurker. New kalpa as a Contributor hopefully
Hello everyone! I am known throughout the net as Cowbob and have been lurking on the discord and in the forums for some time, let me weave you all the tale of how i found OA. I accidentally stumbled on OA a couple of years ago when I was originally attempting to find more material online about The Culture series, once i recognized that OA was in fact its own thing and not part of the Cultureverse I save-clicked on the main page and forgot about it for a few months after which I remembered its existence so I began reading some articles... what happened after is but a hazy memory of frenetically reading the Encyclopaedia Galactica and learning as much as I could on the lore of the setting and meditating on it.

I find this universe to be extremely fascinating for all it has proposed on the future and it's limits. From the hard science fiction rule or the social dynamics between the different entities inhabiting it to its descriptions of the societies and polities that exist inside. I hope to contribute to the universe in a meaningful way (And I sincerely hope to add a hard sci-fi article once I get a clearer grasp of physics after finishing my - undergraduate? - degree in physics.) as well as discussing with others any and all topics related to OA and perhaps outside of it.

The elements of this universe that I find most interesting are any physics related articles (Even if I can't fully grasp what they're trying to say like with the Penrose Thunderbolt article lmao), any articles regarding  the history of the OA universe, any articles regarding AI and their lives or their inner workings, any information regarding provolves; aliens and the many variations of humans that exist.

I hope to see you all around!
Welcome!
welcome!
remember that even though many aspects of the setting are centered around the laws of physics and explicit descriptions of the phenomena, you (and anyone else) have lots of room to contribute in ways that don't need to focus on the science at all (like myths and legends and history), or focus on the worldbuilding around some very mundane physics of spin gravity in habitats Smile
Hi There - Welcome to OA!

Feel free to join in on any conversations that grab your interest or to start a new one if you've a mind to.

As has been mentioned, there is lots of room to contribute to the project, including areas that aren't necessarily 'universe shaking' - so if something grabs your imagination, feel free to ask about writing about it/creating an article to add to the setting. We're happy to help you learn the process for doing that. Smile

Hope this helps and once again - Welcome to OA! Smile

Todd
Introverts of the World - Unite! Separately....In our own homes.
(03-13-2023, 03:17 PM)Worldtree Wrote: welcome!
remember that even though many aspects of the setting are centered around the laws of physics and explicit descriptions of the phenomena, you (and anyone else) have lots of room to contribute in ways that don't need to focus on the science at all (like myths and legends and history), or focus on the worldbuilding around some very mundane physics of spin gravity in habitats Smile

I do like spin gravity! thank you for the suggestions! I will say sorry in advance since I haven't really attempted to do any serious writing so my first attempts might not be the best out there.
No worries - many contributors haven’t written much before - what matters is being open to constructive criticism . I’ve seen a lot of people improve over time here.

I didn’t really write much for at least three years when I joined (2010) , and even after that didn’t write much until 2019.
(I did make art frequently though)