The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Writeup About An AI Related Concept (Cognition)
Hello. Recently, I wrote about a model of cognition that I believe to be promising and posted it to my website. I have been hoping to see, well, any kind of feedback at all, really. Are there any questions as to how it works? Are there any obvious failure points that I've somehow missed? Are there similar models that have been written about in the past (I'd have to imagine so; the model itself really isn't that complicated)? Stuff like that.
My first question is what are your qualifications/ background is for writing this ? I’m not familiar enough with neuroscience or the study of consciousness or AI to understand whether this write up has accuracy beyond what a layman knows? It might help to cite the researchers or thinkers who influenced this write up ?
(09-25-2023, 10:52 AM)Worldtree Wrote: My first question is what are your qualifications/ background is  for writing this ? I’m not familiar enough with neuroscience or the study of consciousness or AI to understand whether this write up has accuracy beyond what a layman knows? It might help to cite the researchers or thinkers who influenced this write up ?

I don't have any (though I'd like to think I know at least a little more than a layman). Part of my motivation for asking here is hoping that someone with qualifications would see it and point me in a useful direction.

As for influences, I couldn't name any specific names (more of my knowledge base comes from wiki walks and the like than I'd care to admit), but there are two broad ideas that I based this on.

The first was that any symbols in the mind should be derived from (and be able to be decomposed down to) sensory information.

The second idea is a fairly basic principle regarding the human brain: that most of what it does cognition-wise is related to memory in some way.
I haven't had time to read this yet and honestly have a lot of irons in the fire, which leads me to ask:

Is this something you are looking to contribute to the OA setting or more of just a general idea/concept/hypothesis that you are posting for consideration by the world at large and OA seems like a likely source of people who may have thoughts/know how in this area?

Either way, my next thought is to suggest that you join the OA discord (assuming you aren't already a member) and post the link there as well. I can't guarantee what, if any, responses you will get but there are some members where with backgrounds/experience in biology/programming/AI and possibly neuroscience. If nothing else it would cast a wider net.

Will try and read this and share thoughts on it if I have time - bearing in mind that this is not within my general areas of interest/expertise within OA or more generally.

Thanks!

Todd
Introverts of the World - Unite! Separately....In our own homes.
(09-25-2023, 09:55 PM)Drashner1 Wrote: Is this something you are looking to contribute to the OA setting or more of just a general idea/concept/hypothesis that you are posting for consideration by the world at large and OA seems like a likely source of people who may have thoughts/know how in this area?

The latter. I'd have posted in one of the setting-specific subforums otherwise.
(09-25-2023, 09:55 PM)Drashner1 Wrote: Either way, my next thought is to suggest that you join the OA discord (assuming you aren't already a member) and post the link there as well. I can't guarantee what, if any, responses you will get but there are some members where with backgrounds/experience in biology/programming/AI and possibly neuroscience. If nothing else it would cast a wider net.

I had already posted it to the discord before posting here.
https://discord.com/channels/31377460167...2693598219

Probably best to keep discussing it on discord