The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

FAQ question about S1=15000 modosophonts
https://discord.com/channels/31377460167...1776694333

Just making a note to add a FAQ about transapients and how their brains work , or maybe just put it right in one of the articles to link to. 

Whenever we get around to 

Quote:Question: If a S1 is equivalent to roughly 15000 modos. Can a bored S1 have a virtual village on their mind?

Answer : 
(Rynn) That’s not quite what that means. The 15k figure means that a typical S1 with a minimal sized brain running at human-equivalent time can perform 15k modo-level tasks, on average
So yeah sure they could simulate a few thousand people in their mind, with a few extra processors they could do a few million, or they could do billions of simple tasks at once

(Todd) Scaling this up a bit - an S2 is equivalent to roughly 5 billion modos while an S3 is roughly equivalent to around 5e22 modos. Although as Rynn says it's not quite as simple as a pure multiplier.
Coming at this from another direction we've discussed - an S5 can simulate an entire planet and its biosphere - down to the individual cells and micro-organisms on up to full size lifeforms like whales and also billions of people with all their memories and lived experience - simply as an idle act of imagination or passing thought, and with only a fraction of its total attention and capacity.

I doubt people will read it automatically but at least there’ll be a section of text we can point to and say “here read this linked material” if we want.
I think people is resistant to understand that a singularity and developing a new type of mind is both qualitatively and quantitatively different.

Is not only about throwing more chips to make it smarter. Is not that at all. And we should explain that in some casee is detrimental to add more process or more power as we say in the EG article about bloatware.

I think talking about numbers confuse people to think a singularity is a linear N times better than someone when the key is that a singularity happened.
-----Signature-----------------------------------------------------
Quote: "Nature considers all variables".