The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Proof-reading EG
Most astronomical phenomena are dated without considering the light-travel time, although this is a difficult rule to apply to civilisations. We should perhaps make a note to this effect.
I would also note that on the page "Superterrestrial Worlds", the planet "Bremen" in the 55 Cancri system is misspelled as "Breman". ;p
James Rogers, Professional Idiot
Fixed: thanks!
So, I'm aware there's been some talk of baseline reserves recently, what with my article on Jafalgia and the thread about Wurm -- I noticed that on the "Genesis of the Second Vec War" page, Heimat is mentioned as having been established in 5430. However, on the Metasoft Baseline Reserves page, it is stated to have been colonised in 4979 a.t. I am personally more inclined to favour the former myself, although it's not up to me to decide, of course.
It's up to you as much as anyone. Is there any benefit/cost to either date?
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
  2. Internal medical system
  3. A dormbot, because domestic chores suck!
Well, one of the worlds the primitivist movements took place on was Jafalgia, which wasn't founded till the 53rd century or so. So I suppose it might make more sense to have it established in the 5400s... then again, it took place on other worlds, too, so I don't suppose there's really any particular benefit to either. ;p I might suggest meeting in the middle and saying maybe late 5100s/5200s or something like that.
Seems good.
OA Wish list:
  1. DNI
  2. Internal medical system
  3. A dormbot, because domestic chores suck!
Fixed; Heimat has now a colonisation date of 5430. This was already the date shown in the timeline.
http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-topic/4681d58bde6ba

The Auld Limners appear to have been overruled by organically based transapient AI (possibly equivalent to a terragen mid--range Archailect). Evidence (which is still controversial) indicates that after it's Ascension this AI, called the Overlord or the Great One, managed to absorb (subversion? swarm? archaitectonic union? mutual symbiosis?) all other AIs.

In the above the word it's should be its instead.

How long before we acknowledge the apostrophe as the 27th letter of the alphabet?

Also in

This practice derives from an odd philosophy, based loosely upon quantum entanglement, regarding how a destroyed painting can effect the destroyer more than it effects other viewers.

effects should be affects.

Also I think that the article should definitely speculate on whether these legends of 'magic destructive pictures' may be based on an independent discovery of affines by the Auld Limners, as this, in combination with the Great One being a singular archailect overseeing their entire culture, appears to be a very plausible theory explaining the extinction of that culture - save for remnant populations that are now extremely wary of AI.
Auld Limners would have been so profoundly different from Terragens that I'm surprised that their basilisk pictures have any analogy in Terragen psychology. But there it is. To find out how this might occur, I would expect the Terragens to perform various experiments on the new Limners, trying to see if they can replicate the effect.

Sentient rights and ethical considerations permitting, naturally.