The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Proof-reading EG
(01-09-2021, 02:47 PM)selden Wrote: Using the search field at the top of https://www.orionsarm.com/page/491 triggers the browser warning

This form is not secure. Are you sure you want to submit it?
Cancel | Submit

It would be nice if that warning didn’t happen.

I’m using the version of Safari provided with iPadOS v14.3.

I'm using Chrome and not getting any warning message at all. Although I'm having to click the little symbol to the right of the data entry field to get it to work.

Note that - if all goes as planned - we will be changing to the new site design within the next 2-3 months and this issue will hopefully go away. We can certainly bring it to Trond's attention, but it may be the case that he'll want to get the new site up and running to see if the problem persists before spending a lot of time and energy on it. But I can ask him about it next time we talk - which we just scheduled for the 19th.

Thanks!

Todd
I was looking at EG's Glossary, reading about Blights and Perversions, and I don't get what the distinction is?  They look awfully similar.  And both entries end with the word "more" as a hyperlink, but the link is broken.  Both are supposed to be higher toposophic.  What's the term for one which is lower, nonsentient or nonliving?  At some point somebody might engineer an actual virus to act as a computer virus.  What would be the term for that?
(01-29-2021, 11:50 AM)sandcastles Wrote: I was looking at EG's Glossary, reading about Blights and Perversions, and I don't get what the distinction is?  They look awfully similar.  And both entries end with the word "more" as a hyperlink, but the link is broken.  Both are supposed to be higher toposophic.  What's the term for one which is lower, nonsentient or nonliving?  At some point somebody might engineer an actual virus to act as a computer virus.  What would be the term for that?

Blights engage in a distinct range of behaviors to increase their own power while perversions are simply insane by the standards of ordinary Terragen sophonts. A perversion may do any number of things, some of which may increase its power, some of which may actually harm it, and some of which don't do much of anything one way or the other. Blights will always attempt to increase their power - although being transapients, their actions may not always be obviously in service to that goal to lower S-levels.

If you do a search for each term in the EG you can find the two articles that the Glossary versions were probably originally linking to.

Re terminology:

Different terms are going to be used for different types of things. See Affines and the more hostile types of Goo. Likely there are other terms as well.

Hope this helps,

Todd
The page https://www.orionsarm.com/page/326 needs some TLC. Sad It’s the page which introduces the OAUP Celestia addons.

For example, the link to NASA’s documentation is no longer valid. It also might be appropriate to provide links to Celestia.space for access to Celestia 1.6.2, especially since MacOS now requires the 64 bit version.
Selden
Well we have a lot more Celestia addons now. Some of the old ones are out of date too. I'll edit this completely in due course. One problem is the raid turn-over of new and revised exoplanets, which makes even the best addon catalog out of date in a few weeks.
The 3rd image the article at https://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/460d90f53fb24 (Binary stars) — P & S type orbits — is missing. Selecting what seems to be its textual link doesn’t show anything, either. No error messages are shown.

The 2nd image in the article https://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/462979fb24df0 (close binary stars) seems to be a link to the same missing image.

The image’s subtitle suggests that it might have been a direct link to a Wiki commons image which has moved or been deleted.

ETA:
A quick search of wikimedia found several potential orbit diagrams, but none which seemed to match exactly.
Selden
That page used an .svg file, which doesn't seem to be compatible with the Content Management System.
Fixed.
In the article https://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/463a8a55ab252 (contact binary) the 2nd picture is not shown, only its subtitle. (S Antiliae…) Since its credit line says “…contributors” , more than one image might be involved.
Selden
Fixed. Thanks!
Not sure if this is the right place to go, but I came across those two stub articles about a system called Sullivan with inconsistent colonization date.

Quote:Hynkarion Cluster
Local name of a small cluster of bright stars in the sky of Sullivan, which was colonized by formerly MPA clades in 5690. The Hynkarion worlds are known for its daring biotechnology/landscaping projects, especially the Monster but also the ice-cities on Alpha Hynkarion II and the sentient mats of Delta Hynkarion IX.

Sullivan
Solar Dominion middle regions system, Sullivan, which was colonized by formerly MPA clades in 7690. Home to Clade Temverson and the Hymana orbitals.
It seems the timeline page says 5690 so probably that.