The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Never mind provolving crows, they're already there
(04-02-2014, 08:57 AM)Ares Johnson Wrote: The big question is just how sophont are all these smart animals? Intelligence and self-awareness are complicated qualities. I've often wondered how "smart" a creature could be while still not possessing the same level of self-awareness and potential that Humans possess. We see crows, dolphins, apes and such pull off cool feats with tools and pass the mirror test, but just how capable are they? How aware are they truly? Are they really thinking about these tricks, or are they purely trial and error and they don't actually understand them?

It's a fascinating area and one I really hope we can unravel soon.
As a corollary, could a technically advanced civilization exist that is peopled with beings who lack those levels of self-awareness and potential? In other words, are self-awareness and "potential" (however that may be defined) absolute requirements for an advanced civilization? Watching the nightly news leads me to question just how widespread those qualities are among 21st century CE humans.

Radtech497
"I'd much rather see you on my side, than scattered into... atoms." Ming the Merciless, Ruler of the Universe

Messages In This Thread
RE: Never mind provolving crows, they're already there - by radtech497 - 04-02-2014, 10:30 AM