The Orion's Arm Universe Project Forums

Hello!
Hello everyone!

Firstly I'd like to convey my love of everything you guys have accomplished with the Orion's Arm worldbuilding project, it's a marvelous work of hard science fiction merged with the fantastical subject of "What if?". Everyone ought to be every proud of the content you've all created.

Secondly I'd like to introduce myself, my real name is Sean, I'm 22 years of age and I'm from the city of Liverpool in Old England. I have a passion for science fiction, and I enjoy weaving my own hard sci-fi yarns but unfortunately I have the mathematical skills of a small infant child so I do find it very difficult, and often results in the abandonment of some wonderful concepts that I have conceived as I lack the knowledge to breathe life into my fiction. With proper guidance I'd love to help contribute towards the OA project and hopefully learn enough to add substantial depth into my own works.

Thirdly, and lastly, a lot of my own personal research into the subject of traversable wormholes has actually led me toward OA, and thus far Google has failed to help answer this question that's been bugging me for some time so I'll ask here :') other than light that may travel through a wormhole, do they emit radiation themselves that could be detected with telescopic equipment?
"Billions and billions of stars." - Johnny Carson
Welcome to Orion's Arm! Look forward to seeing what you contribute! Smile
Hi! Welcome to OASmile

We have all kinds of people here with all kinds of backgrounds and our attitude is that everyone has the potential to bring something valuable to the table. So a lack of math skills isn't really an issue, generally speaking (at least until you get into high grade physics where few or none of us have the background and the people who do aren't available right then:p).

As far as your question about wormholes - Some real life (RL as we call it here) articles on WHs that I've seen talk in terms of them acting like a sort of 'negative gravitational lens', meaning that (as I understand it and IIRC) light passing through the wormhole, or it's immediate environs would be bent outward away from it rather than inward toward some 'focal point' at some distance from it. So, you could potentially detect that effect telescopically and there have actually been proposals that telescopic searches be conducted to look for that kind of thing.

Beyond that, and moving to the OA universe, we do say here and there that apparently wormholes can be detected over interstellar distances, but we've never said how or what is being detected. The most hard science answer would be that OA telescopes are good enough to detect the bent light mentioned above. A less hard science answer would be that the wormhole is emitting something (particles, radio waves, gravity waves, something else) that even modosophont or low transapient tech can pick up over interstellar distances.

Hope this helps and once again, Welcome to OA!

Todd
Hey, we're the same age Big Grin
I'm not very math-y either, and I'm also fairly new here, but everyone's been wonderfully inviting and I've gotten some articles started, so it looks like you should be in good company and have plenty of opportunities Smile
(07-16-2015, 07:54 AM)Centauri5921 Wrote: Welcome to Orion's Arm! Look forward to seeing what you contribute! Smile

Thank you! My strengths are certainly in fiction but certainly before I do anything of the sort I'l need to familiarize with as much of the lore and canon as I can, this project has so much depth it's unreal :o

(07-16-2015, 08:33 AM)Drashner1 Wrote: Hi! Welcome to OASmile

We have all kinds of people here with all kinds of backgrounds and our attitude is that everyone has the potential to bring something valuable to the table. So a lack of math skills isn't really an issue, generally speaking (at least until you get into high grade physics where few or none of us have the background and the people who do aren't available right then:p).

As far as your question about wormholes - Some real life (RL as we call it here) articles on WHs that I've seen talk in terms of them acting like a sort of 'negative gravitational lens', meaning that (as I understand it and IIRC) light passing through the wormhole, or it's immediate environs would be bent outward away from it rather than inward toward some 'focal point' at some distance from it. So, you could potentially detect that effect telescopically and there have actually been proposals that telescopic searches be conducted to look for that kind of thing.

Beyond that, and moving to the OA universe, we do say here and there that apparently wormholes can be detected over interstellar distances, but we've never said how or what is being detected. The most hard science answer would be that OA telescopes are good enough to detect the bent light mentioned above. A less hard science answer would be that the wormhole is emitting something (particles, radio waves, gravity waves, something else) that even modosophont or low transapient tech can pick up over interstellar distances.

Hope this helps and once again, Welcome to OA!

Todd

Thank you for the greetings, the reassurance and the illumination. Hope to get involved as soon as I can come up with a lore abiding story.

(07-16-2015, 02:38 PM)TSSL Wrote: Hey, we're the same age Big Grin
I'm not very math-y either, and I'm also fairly new here, but everyone's been wonderfully inviting and I've gotten some articles started, so it looks like you should be in good company and have plenty of opportunities Smile

Excellent stuff, glad to see it isn't just me around here who isn't math-y Smile so what are you working on at the moment?
"Billions and billions of stars." - Johnny Carson
(07-17-2015, 12:08 AM)Berwyf93 Wrote: Thank you! My strengths are certainly in fiction but certainly before I do anything of the sort I'l need to familiarize with as much of the lore and canon as I can, this project has so much depth it's unreal :o

Depending on how much you've familiarized yourself so far, there's some good introductory material here http://www.orionsarm.com/xcms.php?r=oa-p...primer_toc . Depending on what you're interested in, I'd recommend checking out some articles on the major types of sophonts (there's a helpful one on nearbaseline modifications, which gives a good idea of what the average nearbaseline is like, found here http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/47fc1e955e1ca ) as well as maybe checking out articles on the major sephirotic empires and their ideologies. My main method for familiarizing myself with the project was actually reading through the timeline and checking out just about every link on the timeline, though that's a very time-consuming endeavor. Still, the timeline does have overviews for each section, which could be useful. If there's anything particular you'd like to check out, I'd be happy to give suggestions of articles to read.

(07-17-2015, 12:08 AM)Berwyf93 Wrote: Excellent stuff, glad to see it isn't just me around here who isn't math-y Smile so what are you working on at the moment?

I have two main projects currently. The humongous one is that I'm writing an outline of the evolutionary history of the planet Orwell. The other is that I'm developing the history of the planet Dilmun, which is one of the Metasoft Baseline Reserves (a Metasoft subgroup called the Teleological Tendency founded a bunch of these, including some, like Dilmun, in which the inhabitants were unaware of the outside universe, though this changed after the Second Vec War). I've also started a novel set on Dilmun, though I've so far only shown it to people I know in person. I've also been posting a lot on the thread about the recently discovered quintuple star system. In the future I'd like to do some writing about virtuals (which are a bit underrepresented), and I'd like to look into the history of Tohul (the planet where the xenosophont To'ul'hs are from) and their language. And a novel idea involving the Epp War. ...I'm kind of all over the place.