Across the thousands of years of Terragen history, innumerable cultures, polities, and empires have risen, flourished, and passed away. The reasons for their passing are many. Some were conquered by other civilizations, or consumed by Blights or a Perversions. Others ran afoul of some transapient Power and were destroyed for their foolishness. Some fell due to their own internal conflicts or contradictions. Finally, some are regarded as extinct because they have evolved into forms near incomprehensible to their earlier selves.
- Ambi Limis - Text by Mark Ryherd
Historic polity, successor to the Conver Ambi.
- Antarctica (Antarctic Free States) - Text by Stephen Inniss, Ryan B, Centauri5921, QuELEs
Old Earth's southernmost continent.
- Arantan Empire - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Aggressively expansionist Empires age heterodox Solarian Bionanoborg off-shoot that established itself in the Cygexba volume.
- Athens, Greece - Text by M. Alan Kazlev; some additions by Stephen Inniss
City State, Classical Era, Mediterranean Europe, Old Earth; a major influence on later Western civilizations, and so eventually the early Terragen civilizations of Solsys and the Inner Sphere.
- Australia - Text by M. Alan Kazlev and Stephen Inniss
An island continent between the Indian and Pacific Oceans on Old Earth. It is the smallest on Old Earth, with an area of 8,560,000 square kilometres, and it was not well suited to long term agricultural uses, so it did not contain any major civilizations or polities until the Industrial Age. After several centuries of sustained immigration, Australia became a prosperous nation, and was an important power on Earth during much of the Interplanetary Age.
- Bhutan - Text by Mike Miller
Nation-state of Old Earth.
- Brazil - Text by Rakuen07
- California - Text by ProxCenBound
Pre-Expulsion Earth polity, with a history of welcoming the then-radical technologies and types of sophonts being developed at the time.
- Canada - Text by ProxCenBound
The northern portion of the continent of North America on Old Earth. Location of various polities in the pre-Expulsion period.
- Cascadia - Text by ProxCenBound
Pre-Expulsion Earth polity, which followed a philosophy of adhering to nature, and therefore rejected sentient AI, gengineering, nanotech, and space colonization.
- Cassiopeia Federation Anomie - Text by Anders Sandberg
During the late ComEmp period a complex mesh of social, economic and technological factors caused the Cassiopeia Federation, a client state within the NeoCygexpa Regnum, to experience a social collapse into depression, anomie and chaos.
- Chile - Text by Kirran Lochhead Strang
Former nation-state in South America, Old Earth.
- China - Text by Kirran Lochhead Strang
A major Old Earth civilization for some five thousand years, China eventually became the most populated country on the planet, with the largest ethnicity and two widespread spoken languages - Mandarin (the language of the dynastic rulers from the north of the country) and Cantonese (the language of the ethnic Han majority). Many human inhabitants of the Terragen Sphere claim Chinese ancestry
- Dinboche - Text by Kirran Lochhead Strang
A Lunar settlement which rose to infamy due to a spate of terrorist attacks during the Dark Ages.
- Equalizer Civilization - Text by Anders Sandberg
An infamous highly expansive human empire that attempted to implement true equality among all humans and human derived civilizations by a regimen of nanosurgical mental modifications, ubiquitous and perhaps ridiculously ambitious attempt at a surveillance (over interstellar distances!) and massive agent software networks.
- Eridanus League, The - Text by Aaron Hamilton, updated by Steve Bowers
Early interstellar empire, informally aligned with the First Federation.
- Ethiopia - Text by Kirran Lochhead Strang
- Eyre, Kingdom of - Text by Anders Sandberg and M. Alan Kazlev
Tau Ceti II (Nova Terra) aquatic tweak kingdom.
- Fragan Sphere, The - Text by Anders Sandberg
Pre-Empires age autonomous Terragen interstellar civilization; many details about it and the reasons for its disappearance remain a mystery. Few empires pose more curious archaeological questions than the Fragan Empire and none give fewer answers. The Fragan Empire has been compared to the Tunnlers in its frustrating combination of totally accessible ruins and near total lack of certain information.
- Gengineer Republic - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
An important Genetekker dominated polity in the Solar System during the Interplanetary Age.
- Gerkletoss - Text by Anders Sandberg and M. Alan Kazlev
Multispecies utopian civilisation that developed in the Black Acropolis dyson swarm.
- Harlem High - Text by Mike Miller
One of the first Cislunar Bracelet Band habitats.
- Hopomane Empire - Text by Anders Sandberg
The Hopomane empire was formed after the collapse of the Hosoko Hegemony. The local archailect found that the region would not be profitable enough to re-colonise, and convinced a number of local powers to form the Management Network instead.
- Hosoko Hegemony - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
A minor empire in the Deneb volume that had developed following the Great Cygexba Sell-off. In 7254 a local perversity resulted in widespread riots and sabotage; in 7277 the major wormhole links were destroyed and it ceased to exist.
- Hyperion - Text by ProxCenBound, Rakuen07, Todd Drashner, and Worldtree
One of the earliest transapients, eventually controlling a megacorporation and later founding its own small short-lived empire on the edge of Terragen space.
- India - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Old Earth Interplanetary Age polity and superpower.
- Indonesia - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
- Japan - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Island off the coast of Asia (Old Earth), developed a unique medieval culture, originally isolationist but later adopted Western ways, early atomic age military superpower, later atomic age and information age economic superpower, power waned during the Interplanetary period (greatly eclipsed by China and Indonesia) but a number of Japanese transplanetary corporations remained powerful right up until the Technocalypse. The influence of Japanese aesthetics, popular culture, mysticism (especially Zen) and fighting styles (see Martial Arts) remain strong even to the present time
- Jovian League - Text by M. Alan Kazlev and Steve Bowers
Important Genetekker-dominated Outer Sol System polity, middle Interplanetary to Interplanetary Nanotech era.
- LinnEnt (Linnaeus Enterprises) - Text by Steve Bowers
A commercial empire in the First Federation era and beyond, dedicated to colonising new systems using Engenerator technology.
- Lirantiq - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Vec civilization that originated on Bambata, and began to expand outwards during the post-CoEmp period. The reason for the expansion was not just for the traditional need of resources and trade. In addition the Lirantiq also sought their origins - for some unknown reason their founder(s) had erased all history files and memories of the time before reaching Bambata.
- Maldives, The - Text by MacGregor
An archipelago and nation state of old Earth located in the Indian Ocean. Composed of nearly 1,200 islands arranged in 26 atolls, the Maldives sit on a north-south running ridge called the Chagos-Laccadive Plateau.
- Miidam Posthuman Republic - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Empires Era polity, originally part of the old Taurus Nexus. Became known for their neogenic bioborg and nanoborg technology. Later joined the TRHN and underwent a collective ascension.
- Oceania - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Middle Information Age through Solsys Golden Age Old Earth floating city-state, data haven, and free zone.
- Orbital League / Cislunar Alliance - Text by MacGregor
The earliest non-planet-based Terragen polity, formed near Earth in the Interplanetary Age.
- Penglai Empire, The - Text by Anders Sandberg
Early superbright-tweak empire, based around Penglai.
- Republic of Pakistan - Text by Kirran Lochhead Strang
Old Earth polity of the Industrial-Golden Ages, originally a colony of Great Britain, but after independence gradually becoming a major power in its own right.
- Sagittarius Sphere - Text by Anders Sandberg and M. Alan Kazlev
A major Consolidation and Integration Empire/House.
- Soft Cathedral - Text by M. Alan Kazlev, Anders Sandberg and AI Vin
Major historical bioist empire/house, developed originally the Softbot Coordinator Systems clade of superiors, which became into the Softbot Cathedrals and eventually the Soft Cathedrals. The Cathedrals developed a bioism emphasizing "soft" biological technology, massive terraforming and aggressive autoevolution.
- Taurus Nexus - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Early interstellar power that developed around an abandoned wormhole nexus in the area of space toward the constellation Taurus.
- Tsutari Ambastory - Text by Charles Mosteller
Religious confederation of baseline hu worlds responsible for ending the reign of the Terrorlords of Mandra Quin'Si in 2446.
- United Kingdom (Britain) - Text by Kirran Lochhead Strang
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, often known as Britain; a nation state of Old Earth.
- United States of America - Text by ProxCenBound
Pre-Expulsion Earth-based superpower, responsible for the first landing on Luna and for creating the Internet. Though its relative importance declined as other powers rose, it continued to be influential in Solsys up until the Great Expulsion, and its cultural influences last down to this day.
- Varadic Hegemony - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Expansionist Late Consolidation and early Second Federation age biocyborg empire. During the Cygnis Wars both the Varadic and Arantan empires contended for ownership of the most resource rich systems, circumventing the wormhole nexus with relativistic battle fleets, and threatening to attack the stargates if either Cygexba or any of the Inner Sphere powers intervened. Eventually a combined Dominion-MPA fleet put an end to Varadic ambitions.
- Vatican City - Text by M. Alan Kazlev
Old Earth city state and capital of the Catholic Church. Much of Vatican City was packed in inert gas and put in a diamondoid vault, thus escaping the Technocalypse. Today it remains, in a vault surrounded by restored Mediterranean forests, one of the small number of pilgrimage sites of Old Earth.
- Virginis Combine, The - Text by Anders Sandberg
An early interstellar empire, influential during the late Federation and early Expansion periods.
- Yoson Confederacy - Text by Aaron Hamilton and Anders Sandberg
Several worlds linked by religious and philosophical ties, mostly within the Cygexpa region. Founded by the Hippocratic Clade ethnicity in the 2500's on Chiri (Beta Canum Venaticorum III) and spread outwards towards Cygnus during the Age of Expansion.